Sexual Health Checks
What are they?
Sexual Health Check (SHC) is a check-up that involves assessment by a health professional for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and related issues. This usually involves blood, urine and swab tests.
These checks are not just about HIV, there are many other STI's that are prevalent in the Brisbane population, they can all have a significantly detrimental effect on your life.
Who should have a SHC?
Anyone who has ever had sex, including vaginal, oral and anal sex.
- do not consider themselves at risk;
- do not protect themselves;
- do not seek sexual health care
Common STI's are
- Genital Herpes
- Genital Warts
- HIV and AIDS
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- at the end of a sexual relationship
- before starting a new sexual relationship
- after any unsafe sexual contact
- if you think you may have an STI
There are many places to go.
- QUT Medical Centres at either Gardens Point or Kelvin Grove - make an appointment to see a doctor or just drop in to talk to the nurse. QUT nurses can help clarify concerns and help you access the most appropriate services.
- Brisbane Sexual Health Clinic
Level 1, 245 Albert Street, Brisbane
Phone: (07) 3211 3611
- your Doctor
Some useful links
- Queensland STI Campaign
- Sexual health
- Contact Tracing: You can now contact trace via SMS, email or send a letter to "Let Them Know" anonymously
- Sexually Transmissable Infections - Treatment if Goof, Prevention is Best